Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Amulet of Samarkand

Such a long time since I last read that book. I picked it up again last night. I didn't expect it be any good.

Last time I read it (also the first time I read it) was years ago. I liked the story back then. It was just about childish enough, and so easily read. e
After having read Tolkien, Hemingway, Michael White and god knows what not, I didn't expect that book to be much. Just a memory of a passed time. Just relaxing with an easy, meaningless book.

And I loved it. The way it's written, like it tells a true story. The way it's talking about how impossibly dumb and ignorant most humans are. Oh yes, the writer himself and how amazingly good he is at putting the words together.

And how I could think this an easily read story all those years ago! Ok, I understand, most of the words can be ignored and I'll still get the point of the sentence. Every sentence is filled to the brinks with unuseful, yet marvellously colorful words and information. I love it.

And how the story I once thought pointless, it is to massive degrees and without doubt filled with complexities of an absolutely incredibly impressive imagination. 

I literally cannot belive this book just stood there on my schelf for so long, and I never bothered to look at it a second time. I can't belive that a book that gave me everything I wanted when I was a kid and only looking for the story, gives me more than I could ever imagine from any book after having read works written by the greatest authors of all time. 

I have never read anything like this, and never again will I underestimate a book.

  "Alice"

No comments:

Post a Comment